Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week Two

Week Two...lots to talk about! Marcus Cal and I went to Primary Childrens to meet with Dr. Rope and Dr. Calhoun. Both are geneticists and both were absolutely amazing. Most doctors you wait forever to see them and once you do see them they try to get rid of you as soon as they can. These two sat with us for three hours answering all of our questions and addressing all of our concerns. Kids with Achondroplasia pretty much grow up just like the rest of us...with a few extra doctor visits along the way. They told us the first thing Cal would need is an MRI (more about that in a later post). They need a sleep study to check for sleep apnea, and then often times they need to see an ENT due to chronic ear infections because of small ear canals (most often if this is the case they will just put tubes in) and then down the road they may need their tonsils and adenoids removed. We were also given growth charts to measure Cal's growth as he will obviously be on a much different curve than someone who is average height.  Along with the growth charts we got a gross motor chart specifically for Cal. He will be behind on all of this for a couple reasons...one, kids with Achondroplasia have big heads (which makes it hard to hold your head up on your own and roll from your tummy to your back...so these are delayed), and two, his legs and arms are short which makes crawling and walking a much more difficult task. Eventually he will  figure it out just like everyone else...it just takes a little longer. This week we also went to our regualar two week check up at the pediatrician and this little stinker isn't gaining weight like he should. And so I have decided to supplement and pump to make sure he gains weight. Never have I not had enough milk...I normally make enough for triplets...but I think all the added stress from day one decreased my milk supply and no matter what I try I can't seem to make more. I feel guilty...as I breastfed my other two but at the end of the day I can only do so much.( I will admit its kind of nice to give a bottle during the hectic morning rush ...and also having the hubs help out with those late night feedings!) Other than that it was a normal week. Cal is an AMAZING baby. He is very content (I consider this a great blessing!) rarely does he cry or fuss and he puts up with all of Ivy's forceful hugging and kissing ( if he survives her..he will be able to survive anything!)

Dad and Cal. Marcus does the first shift of the night. I'm grateful to have a hubby who is willing to help. And I'm even more grateful for the extra 3 hours of sleep I get becuase of it!
I just LOVE him! Can't decide yet what color his hair is going to be. Ivy and Will started with black hair and ended up light...his hair is much lighter so wondering if when it falls out his hair will be dark like mine.
I know they say not to put babies on their tummies but I break the rules sometimes for his little cat naps during the day...he seems to love being on his belly! (Don't fret I keep a close eye on him!!)

6 comments:

  1. Cal is so cute, your whole family is so cute. Thanks so much for making contact, I love meeting new families in the LP world. How old is Cal now?? If you don't mind I'm gonna add your blog to my sidebar, it's how I keep track of updates. I look forward to seeing your family grow up!! (ps you look AMAZING in your delivery pictures (or right after delivery!) You rock girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. I'm so glad your doctors visit went well and that you were able to have some questions answered. I sure love this cute baby boy and I've only seen him once!! Can't wait to come see him again soon. xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute Jamie! Your family is blessed to have him with you in your family!!! He is perfect!!! his eyes are darling!! COngrats and Best wishes to you and your family!!! I think about U and your family often! We miss being in the ward and living by you guys!!! Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jamie, he is so stinkin cute! I just love him. We think about you guys all the time ... glad to hear all is going well. We miss you like crazy. I'll think we'll come out to UT over the summer - let's meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he is just A-dorable! We think of you guys all the time! So glad you are doing this blog so we can keep up with everything! Give him a snuggle from the Mortensens!

    ReplyDelete